Kimono Crazy

Friday, September 5, 2014

When I found J Crew chiffon on sale for $0.75/yard from FabricMart, well, I had to have gobs of it.  After it arrived, I was stumped and couldn't wrap my head around an idea.   I went on to another project.  Now that the semester has begun, I have little brain synapses devoted to creativity.  I pondered using the chiffon for a full-length Anna then decided against it because of the slipperiness of the material.  By Hand London did a kimono tutorial that sent my creative brain-cells into hyperdrive.

Experiment:
Kimono
(By Hand London Tutorial used.  Sew Caroline has a free pattern to download.)

Materials:
1 yard and a bit of J. Crew gray floral chiffon
Gutermann Thread - light gray

Procedure:
This is a true lazy seamstress project.  All you need is a ruler, tailor's chalk, space, and some dreamy, drapey fabric.   I followed the BHL tutorial and just added length to the bottom.  I eyeballed it, guessing I would have to say it is about half to three-quarters of an inch.
Who knew that I needed a kimono!  If I were walking past this in a boutique, I would probably glance, feel the fabric, maybe try it on but in the end, pass it by. 
Since I made it, swoon, sigh, I *heart* my kimono.  I am tickled that I took the time to make it.  And it effortlessly fits into my wardrobe.  Perfect to throw on over a pair of jeans or dress up a drab skirt.  Instant Bohemian chic.
My son inspires me.  He is an adventurer -- always up for something new.  Good thing I have him to remind me because I would have passed this by....

Happy Sewing -
Annie


 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
27 Comments »

27 Responses to “Kimono Crazy”

  1. SO cute!

    So I made S1318 and then accidentally nipped near the collar. I got all dejected and put it in a box. I think I'm going to do a little janky fix and just wear it...with my hair down! Lol!!

    I am loving this on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! Try S1318 again - I think it will look great.

      Delete
  2. Cute kimono! The fabric print is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Annie, that is so lovely! We've been wanting to make a kimono, too. That fabric is dreamy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, and so flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute. It really adds that special bit to a jeans-and-shirt-outfit. And what a fabric bargain, it's beautiful!
    Thank you for the link to the free pattern, I am tempted to make one myself, as long as it is still warm enough to wear it.
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't believe it is fall!!

      Delete
  6. Absolutely love this! I think the summer has passed so there's no point making a kimono in the UK, but I'll be definitely using this tutorial next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah no wonder you love it! It's so gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks gorgeous, and the fabric/print/colors are perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant ~ you have a great eye for fabric/pattern combination ... J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely Annie the colours really suit you and it looks great over jeans and t shirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I would like it but it end up being perfect.

      Delete
  11. Oh really nice! seen a number of kimono shapes about lately and I'm liking more & more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not call myself a trend follower but I am a sucker for simple sewing projects!

      Delete
  12. Looks so fabulous! I think I need one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie